This is simple-to-make recipe for vegetarians. Here, Coconut milk is the core ingredient. This flavored rice can be had with a simple Onion and curd (yoghurt) patchadi/raita or with spicy chicken and mutton gravy. Today, I opted to make a spicy Prawns gravy instead. And, boy, it was a good decision. The combination was simply yummy and mouthwatering.
Let me get back to the biryani recipe.
- Rice - 1.5 cups (serves 2-3 people) You can use ordinary rice or Basmati rice.
- Coconut - 1 (Large)
- Onions - 4 (Medium sized)
- Ginger Garlic paste - 2-3 tsps or as per your requirement.
- Cloves - 4 (Medium sized)
- Bay leaf - 2 (Medium sized)
- Cinnamon Bark - 2 inch
- Star Anise - 1
- Oil - 2 tablespoon
- Green chillies - 2
Method of Preparation:
- Add the oil to pressure cooker and let it become hot
- Put cinnamon, cloves, star anise and bay leaf in to the hot oil. Let it simmer for 1 min.
- Add ginger garlic paste and sauté it till it looks golden brown.
- Next, add onion and green chillies, and fry them until the onions have browned.
- Add water and coconut milk in this ratio: For 1.5 cups of rice, you need 3 cups of water (double the quantity of the rice). Out of three cups, use 2 cups of coconut milk and 1 cup of water.
- Add required amount of salt and then the rice.
- Stir in once and close the lid
- I usually cook in on medium flame and for 4 whistles. You can cook according to your cooker specifications. I like my rice to be on the softer side so I cook them a bit longer.
- Let the rice cool down a little and then you can serve the rice with Onion-curd patchadi/raita.
Here are some more pics.
Coconut milk biryani with Prawns gravy.
Let me know if you have tried this recipe. Hope you enjoy it.