Lakme is one of India’s most loved beauty brands. My very first lipstick was from this brand. So, why this post then?
Why this post on Lakme and why now?
This post was as result of a sudden realization that we really don’t scrutinize our favorite brands/products. As I was working on the post - 10 Beauty Brands & Their Products in India Containing Parabens, I had to go through the ingredients list of various brands, including Lakme. All their face washes and creams had the ingredients list. I was quite elated to see this and all of a sudden, it dawned on me that it was not the same with their makeup products.
Here’s a list of Lakme’s makeup products. I’m not sure if I have included all their products, so let’s call this a sample list. The highlighted products are the ones with the ingredients list on them.
- Lakme Eyeconic Kajal
- Lakme Radiance Complexion Compact
- Lakme Perfecting Liquid Foundation
- Lakme Rose Face Powder
- Lakme Insta Eye Liner
- Lakme Absolute Skin Natural Mousse
- Lakme Perfect Radiance Intense Whitening Compact
- Lakme Jewel Sindoor
- Lakme Face Magic Souffle
- Lakme 9 To 5 Black Impact Eye Liner
- Lakme Eyeconic Lash Curling Mascara Black
- Lakme 9 To 5 Flawless Matte Complexion Compact
- Lakme Absolute Precision Liquid Liner
- Lakme Absolute Shine Liquid Eye Liner
- Lakme Enrich Satins Lip Color
- Lakme 9 to 5 Weightless Mousse Foundation
- Lakme Face Sheer Highlighter
- Lakme Invisible Finish Foundation
- Lakme FS Lip Gloss
- Lakme Lip Love Lip Care
- Lakme Absolute White Intense Wet and Dry Compact
- Lakme Absolute Plump and Shine Lip Gloss
- Lakme Absolute Lip Pout Creme Lip Color
- Lakme 9 To 5 Matte Lip Color
- Lakme Absolute Lip Pout Matte Lip Color
- Lakme Complexion Care Color Transform Face Cream
- Lakme Absolute Matte Lipstick
- Out of the 27 makeup products in the sample list, only 2 has mentioned its ingredients.
- The ingredients are not mentioned on their website either.
- Other beauty and skincare products contain the ingredients list.
So, why are the ingredients not mentioned?
I don’t have an answer to this question, but I do have this logic behind this question.
e.l.f cosmetics and City Color cosmetics sells so many of their makeup products at affordable price. Some even for just a $1. They also make sure that the ingredients used in their makeup products are mentioned on the product.
Now, let’s forget these U.S brands and talk about Lakme itself. They have mentioned the ingredients used in some* of their own products. The big question here is why aren’t they doing it on all their makeup products?
This is the cause for my apprehension. It should be yours too!
Why isn’t anyone raising this question?
There are so many beauty bloggers who have given Lakme makeup products high ratings in spite of not having the ingredients list. And, when asked if they would recommend it, they have answered ‘Yes’.
If the product contains harmful ingredients or if it doesn’t contain the ingredients list, it’s one and the same according to me. I believe that as a responsible blogger, one cannot recommend or give it good ratings when the ingredients aren't disclosed.
You don’t have to take my word. Just check out the review of any of Lakme’s makeup products and you will know what I’m talking about. I request all the bloggers to raise this issue so that the brand can mention the ingredients in their future productions.
What is your take on this issue as a blogger or as a Lakme product user? Do comment below and let us know.
Thanks for reading!